Friday, October 5, 2007

Visiting Amidst the Ya-ya

Why is it that children always go beserk when company comes? They do things that they are not allowed to do during the normal day...full speed ahead. Some family, we see only once a year and for short periods of time...I guess the kids feel the need to "show off" and make an impression. I, on the other hand, am praying that they will be polite and use good manners...and instead, we have a tumbling class and racing event and kickboxing ring. Just call me mortified! There were a couple things done and said, that I just stood there with a stupid look on my face..."I can't believe that you actually thought that was important to say out loud!" I can totally understand why parents of long ago taught their children to "be seen and not heard"! It is so adults can conversate and be able to hear the other conversators! It is a lost manner that I am thinking of reinstating...now, how to do that after all these years!? Does duct tape come in flesh tones?
Grampy and Alisa had their own little chat while the rest of us tried to visit...and then Alisa got her eyes snapping. From the look of it...one of them had the other one going! I can't tell which one had the upper hand!
Life is so interesting when you are four, five, and six...and must be shared, no matter what your Mother (and Father) have taught you about deportment and manners. Our work continues!

4 comments:

sara said...

I know how you feel! In fact we have this new rule for supper times that they cannot talk until they are done with their food. It has been so PEACEFUL!!!:)

gailsgarden said...

Of course the relatives never had children who embarrassed them, so they were totally mortified! Ha, ha! Don't worry. It just gives them something funny to talk about. "Those kids of Ted and Kari are such a hoot! Let me tell you..."

Dramagirl said...

Just to make you feel better, my parents thought the children were adorable. When they gave me the report it was all positive!!:) They had a wonderful time with you! Wish we could have been there as well!!

2Icecubed said...

Oh, I so get what you are talking about. The last time my parents came to visit Luke especially was out of control crazy! I too was so embarrassed! Manners were out the window. Rest assured we are working on the SAME things!!:)