I copied the recipe from Sarah blog...but not word for word and play by play (just had to let you know that in these days of "plagarism attacks!") Excuse me...had to go get my cup of coffee and said bagel in order to fill the recipe request..absolutely no will power!
Homemade Bagels
Done in a bread machine but will work fine by hand!
I had dough to make 3 mini bagels and 8 (or 9?) regular sized bagels...I tried to keep them small enough to fit in my toaster without getting stuck...burned...etc.
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 T sugar
3 cups bread flour (I used all purpose flour cause that is all I had)
2 1/4 tsp yeast (1 individual pack)
3 qts water
3T sugar
1 egg white (or melted butter)
toppings to add to bagels
Add to bread machine in order given making a well in the center for yeast. Set to dough cycle and walk away!
Or combine dry ingredients and add warmed water. Mix till combined...knead 5-10 min. and set aside to rise (till doubled or tripled or whatever).
Preheat your oven to 350. Add 3 quarts of water to pan to boil and add 3 T granulated sugar to the water.
Divide dough into small balls...depending on the size you want your bagels to be (we made some mini ones). Poke a hole and stretch the dough to your desired size.
Drop the bagels 2-3 at a time into the boiling water for 30 sec. per side. Drain on a wire rack.
Brush with egg white or Sarah's favorite...melted butter. Add whatever topping you choose! I mixed cinnamon and brown sugar and pressed the bagels into the mix (I didn't use any egg or butter and it stuck fine). I also didn't measure this mixture...sorry.
Spray your baking sheet with cooking spray (a little detail I forgot...duh!) Bake the bagels for 20-30 minutes. Sarah flipped hers over after 15 min...I did not because I had sticking issues and had to move to a new pan...then I dumped the rest of the sugar mix over the top because I didn't measure and had lots!
Make sure you have a glass of cold milk or hot coffee ready when these come out of the oven...oh, and butter...real butter!
5 comments:
Yep, because you know I'd sue you for plagiarism? Uhem...yeah. Anyway, great job- again! ;) Take care!
~mmm~ I'm trying these next days my husband is working; not because I don't want to share... I have a way of getting distracted when he's home! :s Thanks again! Kim;D x's
Thank you, Kari! I will have to try them. You need a wide slice toaster! Andy gave me one quite a while ago and I love it. It is a challenge when we use our 42 year old one at the farm! ;)
Awesome! What was the trick you talked about putting the brown sugar inside? They sound so yummy this way already, but I am always up for more brown sugar! Thanks for being so obliging!
Hey Alicia...I thought I would let the cinnamon and brown sugar mix either sit out in the air or in the oven so it would "clump up" into little chunks and then add it to the dough...don't know if it will work or not!? Let me know if you do it!
Post a Comment