Monday, March 23, 2009

"You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves."

Abraham Lincoln was a very wise man. So is my husband! The kids are to the age where they can do more to help around the house. We have added various duties to their daily life...and they are happily doing them! Right now...it is fun! I also know that they respond differently to Ted...he has the patience of Job when teaching the kids a new skill! He knows that I get frustrated and just find it easier to do it myself...thus being more stressed and grouchy. And to think that I thought all was well...who was I kidding?! Ted said, "It's time for the girls to start doing dishes and I will teach them.." We picked up rubber gloves...size small...and they worked together. I couldn't help snapping pictures of a girl and her Daddy.
Who doesn't like to feel Daddy's arms around them while learning how to do something? They measured out the dishsoap. They washed. They rinsed. And nobody's "feathers got ruffled". It was a lesson in patience for me...AGAIN! I get in the mode of "hurry and get it done so I can do the next thing" and get irritated if a mess is made or it takes too long. I remember doing dishes when I was the girls' ages...but I don't remember Mom's "feathers getting ruffled" by our learning process. I looked up the definition...(and my picture is not next to the word!) Patience n. the quality of being patient or calmly enduring. It involves suffering hardship, pain, affliction, insult with calmness and equanimity; continuance of labor; persevering; waiting with calmness.
I guess that is why the verses in II Peter 1 keep swimming around in my head..."add to your faith...patience..." I am grateful for a husband who is able to lead us in the areas in which we (our family)...or just me...struggle!

The kids are learning each and every day. They are growing up so quickly. It is our job to teach them...what they can and should do in life...and the spirit in which to do it!


2 comments:

gailsgarden said...

I love the little stool!

sara said...

What a great idea! I need to get the boys washing too!