Monday, November 16, 2009

"I didn't know that was bad, Mom!"

I sometimes wonder what people driving behind us think of us!  "Poor lady...her children look like they have issues."  OR "Too bad that lady can't control her children...are they...ooooh, they are...hitting at each other."  Today...I had two girls spazzing out and pretending we were being chased by something.  (Sorry, Mr. Big Yellow Truck Driver...if you could hear them...it would have made sense?!)  After being more than squirrely about that big truck (or whatever it was) that was behind us as we were driving down the road, Ashlynn said she was "ready to go home and make some martinis".  I think I gave myself whiplash as I looked up into the rearview mirror and said,  "Huh? What are you going to make?"  Yep, she said what I thought I heard.  After explaining in a controlled manner, with carefully chosen words so as not to cause further outbursts, that those are not anything we would being making or drinking at our house...I honestly wondered if one would indeed lessen the panicky feeling I was having.  "Mom, I didn't know they were bad."  Where do they come up with this stuff?  Why did she not want to make a slushie?   What if she says this at church or in front of her grandparents???  (Consider yourself forewarned now!) 
The reality check for me came as I filled Ted in on this little exchange..."Uh, Kari, you let them watch the Food channel...what's her name has shown how to make those..did you forget about the whole cocktail incident with Alisa?  And you think that is a safe...channel for them to watch...!?  Now what do you think?" 
"I think I need one?"

No comments: