Saturday, May 22, 2010

Proof that everything is better after a good night's sleep...or...Look, Dad, I didn't smash it!

The cakes were baked.  The frosting being made.  And then the brick wall! 
I can do girly stuff in my sleep...it comes naturally. 
Decorating cakes for men...doesn't come as easy for me.  The typical graduation items don't fit this young man...roses and such. 
I struck out with the navy blue I was trying to mix...no more blue coloring paste to try again...gotta make it work!  How am I going to decorate this...in time for Saturday?  I am seriously questioning my ability to draw anything at this point.  Teddy suggested a firetruck.  Ted offered cleaning up his "real live tools". 
I was ready to plunk...ok, smash a hammer in the middle and call it done.  So I went to bed!
Sometimes...you must walk away from a project, sleep on it, and try again.  This morning...it came together!  Ted even cooked breakfast out on the grill to keep things away from the cakes.  He is a wonderful husband!  It must be shouted from the rooftop...there is no way I can handle things without his help!  He had the kids helping with many things to take the pressure off me...because I was having issues of gigantic proportion. 
You can see the rough texture...proof that I was having issues!  The more I smoothed...the worse it got.  Now that I look at it...I should have made the background look like boards...rough would have fit!  Duh! 
I know the cake tastes good and so does the frosting.  I didn't spell the words wrong.  The tools are basically recognizable.  I did what the orderers asked...we will see if they like them...this afternoon! 
Too late now...ha ha ha!

My last class, of students that I taught before Ashlynn was born, graduates this year!  My how time flies!

3 comments:

gailsgarden said...

I think it is really cute! Or is that the wrong word to use?

Silly 1 said...

Oh for cute!! I am so proud of your self control! XOOXXX You amaze me with your so many talents. I love you sis.

heavenboundkim said...

what a great job, Kari! ♥