Thursday, May 20, 2010

Update at 10:00 pm

We made a trip up to Madison and back today.   I will say it was a difficult day for Alisa...which later hit Mom.  The fear came rolling out in the form of tears...actually, sobs...as we walked into our outpatient room this morning.  I thought I had done well to inform her that we had plans after our pictures (MRI)...lunch, thrifting, soccer game, and etc.  But when you have gone up to the hospital for an appointment two times prior...and ended up being admitted...for surgery both times...fear of the same will be present!
When the tears flowed...all preparations came to a huge slow down.  The nurses and child-life friend (We saw our friend Kris again who found a pretty lime green blanket for her little patient.) took time to talk with Alisa and help make her comfortable.  They allowed her to make all of the decisions regarding her care.  She decided she wanted to try and hold still and be awake for the MRI.  (Which she did to the amazement of the technician...Thank you, Laurie, for another beanie baby and compliment for our good girl!)  Alisa picked out many different things as we moved through our appointment...and it helped.  God is good to send Moms helpers in different situations of life.  Today...once again...our nurses and child-life team were that help. 
I love the fact that Alisa loves to hold my hand and cuddle up.  We shared the rocking chair and a time of prayer before any action was taken.  It was the best I could do for her...hug and pray!!!  I didn't know what to expect, when, how long...I really wasn't a great help to her in that sense.  Our friend, Kris, told her to just "take one thing at a time".  She remembered how things turned out last time.  But...I did know that we weren't staying...I hadn't brought a toothbrush or clean underwear for us!!!  And we had plans.
All the waiting...and we still have to wait...till late tomorrow sometime...for the MRI results. 
We met with Dr. Albright.  He is very pleased with the look of her incision (scar), her reflexes and strength in feet/legs, and the fact that she has no pain.  He will look at the MRI himself.  The radiologist will read them.  They will talk.  Dr. Albright will then call us.  He wants to be very thorough in reading the scans and I appreciate that...truly, I do.  As soon as I know anything...I will update the blog!  Thank you for your continued prayer support.  I didn't realize how draining today would be...for Alisa especially!  I knew that I have been holding my breath...I can feel it in my head tonight.  Today...I sucked a couple gulps of air...but I am still holding my breath...waiting.  "Pray and wait for an answer, Pray and wait for an answer..."  Just waiting for that answer from the Lord!

Note to self regarding other visits for MRI scans or tests:  Make a cd of music to take with us for any occasions where music can be listened to with headphones during scans or tests...a special mix just for Alisa to calm and soothe her heart and mind.  The music that is offered, out of kindness, is not peaceful and uplifting.

Brings snacks...no food after 5 am, only clear liquids after 9 am, driving...10 am, prepping...11 am, waiting...12 pm, testing...1 pm,  waiting...2 pm (Thanks, Kris, for a snack before seeing our doctor!) driving...3pm is a really long time for a child to go without eating!  (Can you believe Noodles& Co was closed today? Due to a fire! Alisa got her pick...Subway!)

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

Wow, I haven't been on your blog (or anyone else's for that matter) for quite awhile & I was glad to read your updates. We are still praying for all of you. God is so good all of the time but I am especially thankful for His tender care for Alisa and you during this time.