Tuesday, November 30, 2010

His question is a good indication of what kind of morning we have had!

"Hey, what are those white things flying around in the air?" Teddy asked as he let Chevy outside.  "Brrrr, close the door!" yelled his sisters.  I looked up from preparing lunch...huh?  The girls voiced their thoughts before I could, "Seriously, Teddy, it is cold.  They are mini-snowflakes!" 
Uff-da! 
We were making good progress this morning and hit a brick wall after morning break.  Maybe we are reacting to the weather change...our brains are frozen!  We bumped up the heat and are enjoying a healthy lunch.  I think this afternoon calls for hot chocolate...when we are finished with school!  We have at least another hour and a half!
**Teddy just stated..."My nose feels like it is all jammed up!"  It made me smile...that could also be part of his difficulty today...getting sick?  He fell asleep for a few minutes before supper last night.  When I put some of these events together...Oh, joy!**
***So...the best intentions of this Mommy didn't come to fruition.  The hour and a half turned out to be much longer due to time spent spinning in chairs and numerous trips up the stairs for a drink or for the forgotten reading book or for the bathroom.  GRRRR!  And the little voice in my head that sounds like my husband said, "Don't yell, Kari!  Be firm.  Be consistent.  Follow through with what you said."  We worked for as long as we played around...missing the hot chocolate opportunity.  Yes, there are consequences for "doing your own thing" when expectations have been clearly explained.  Hard...yes.  Not fun...yes.  Necessary...absolutely!  And we will, no doubt, experience it again and again...one of these days...they will "get it"!  Little things like this can turn into big deals later...and it is my job to handle it correctly...each day!
Doesn't mean that it doesn't make me growl sometimes!  
There were two girls...each with a paper left to finish...I finally retreated to the only place in the house I could be by myself...guaranteed for 20 minutes...I took a shower!  Supper was in the crockpot.  Ted was coming home.  I felt growly!  The house was warm, cozy, and quiet.  I needed a mental break!  It is amazing what that 20 minutes of alone time can do for a person!  And it helped me not feel so bad about working through hot chocolate time...there was ice cream for dessert instead!*** 

No comments: