Bagels in the toaster were the pick of this morning's breakfast. Add cream cheese, butter, and or jelly...and the kids were happy. We are into the "I want to make my own" phase of life. I am glad they are learning their way around the kitchen. We are learning to do things safely...or so I thought! Today...after my heart did a flip-flop...we had a teaching moment that went something like this...
"Son, NO! Don't ever do that! Not unless you want to meet Jesus...today!"
I was washing dishes and doing some general clean-up, when out of the corner of my eye I saw him go toward the toaster slots with his metal butter knife. "Metal conducts electricity. The toaster is plugged in to get electricity...which toasts your bagel. You could be hurt severely...or even die from being electrocuted." Since I was washing dishes, I also covered the fact that you keep electricity away from water. "You don't just try it to see what happens...because you could die. Children have done it...and they are not able to toast their own breakfast anymore."
I stopped and choked on the words...
I was standing right there!!! I have told them not to do that before. I know children try things "just to see what would happen" and they get hurt. I wish there was some way to get our children to understand the importance of the words we speak. We don't just talk to hear ourselves! Obedience with out questioning...that is one of the things we are teaching.
I remember the different electricity facts that Ted has shared with me. He didn't earn the nickname "Sparky" from me. Maybe we should arrange a Science class with Mr. Sparky...hmmmm.
Mothers don't literally have eyes in the back of our heads...but I am thankful to have my peripheral vision...it came in handy today!

No comments:
Post a Comment