As breakfast finished, Ted gave the kiddos some instructions, "...and I am putting 15 minutes on the timer. You will be back here with your verse card ready for devotions." Ready, set, go! We started the timer as they crossed the thresholds on their ways to do Dad's bidding. All three children arrived back at the table with their verse cards and Bibles as the timer struck 10 minutes and 34 seconds. "Um...we're still finishing here...you still have 5 minutes. Why don't you check to see that your room passes inspection...is your closet straightened up?" we asked. "Well, it isn't as bad as it was yesterday...but..." defended Alisa. "Go ahead and check...if you have to explain or justify it...it won't pass inspection!" we said. They...all three...were back to the table with time to spare! After time in God's Word and prayer to start our day as a family, the kiddos headed down to get settled for school and we finished a cup of coffee.
"Whhhhyyyy?" (That is how a grown man whines.) "Why one day...this happens and other days....they fiddle till they must be disciplined...over and over and over/" Ted sat shaking his head.
"Because...they are children...it is what they do...and we must help them along their way. All those rough days last week...have given way to good days this week! And we will repeat the cycle many times before they leave our home. I think that is what parenting is! And it isn't always hard...there are good days...and we need to praise them for those days!" I reminded him...and myself...out loud.
And...I need to record it here too...lest you think I am always fussing about the fiddling!
**Update** Closet and rooms did pass inspection! Call me amazed...never cease to be amazed!
1 comment:
I was just getting caught up on your blog entries, sweet Kari! I am always blessed by them; never a dull moment! Love, Aunt Connie XXOO
Post a Comment