Saturday, October 29, 2011

There are times when I should just quit while I am ahead!

I realize some days...usually right in the middle of a mess...that things just don't go the way I want them to go.  I had another idea of what I wanted.  A decision is made and I have to make the best of it...with a joyful spirit.  It is what I do on a regular basis as a wife and mother...other's needs come first.  I have gotten pretty good at just rolling with whatever is thrown my way...
and I always think of a way to make it better or special. 
THAT'S CONTENTMENT! 
 That whole make lemonade with lemons idea came to mind...blah, blah, blah.
But then...in the middle of making the lemonade...
I drop the freshly filled container of flour and it slides down the counter to the floor and lands upright (thankfully) with a thump and a poof of white (all over my denim and black outfit).  I snatched up Chevy and then stood and looked at the mess...and took a picture.  Part of my family was outside working diligently on a big project and part was running an errand...I prayed that no one would walk in just then and see the mess.  I didn't want to explain what had just happened.
Supper was ready and raising nicely.  The oven pre-heating as I went the extra mile for dessert.
It was at that moment I heard myself say, "I should have just quit while I was ahead!"  This time I just shook my head and got to the clean-up...with no tears!  I realized at that point...contentment was the choice I was making...sad, frustrated, or angry tears are not part of contentment! 
Have you ever thought of that?  I didn't...until then.
A faithful commitment to the job that God has given me while working with joyful endurance and a heart of thankfulness for what God has blessed me with at this time. 
That is my Kari definition of contentment...the different jobs that God gives me may vary...the situations and time periods may vary...my commitment, joy, and faithfulness to God should not!  And my feelings about any of it...should not change my actions...because my feelings change constantly.
My responsibility is first to the needs of my family...and I need to go the extra mile to make things special...no matter what happens in the process!  I am to be a help-meet to my husband...in the little ways and big ways. It is easy to run here and there and make things special for everyone else. 
But there are times...seasons in life...as women...we need to stay put and be a keeper in
our own home making things special for the family that God has given us...no matter how strong the pull or desire is to go running here and there...ignoring the people who need your help the most!
Last night's supper was shared with our family in gratefulness for those who go the extra mile to help us...
and I was glad that I was there to serve a hot meal...with dessert...to the delight of my family...
even when I was dusted lightly with flour!
Dear Lord, please help me to find the contentment I seek...first at home!

No comments: