Wednesday, February 20, 2013

It was bound to happen!

"Aww, man, now we are going to be late!" Teddy whined.  It was 7:58am.  "We have till 8:15 before we are late." Ashlynn explained.  First time...since we have moved and driven the route to school...the same time every day...that we have seen a train coming through our intersection!  It was bound to happen sooner or later.  "If you plan to leave early, situations like this are not a big deal!  If you insist on running late and not planning, then you deserve to be held up!  Ohhh, look at Mr. Excursion cutting through...he is running late and is annoyed...and could risk causing some problems behaving like that!"  I commented.  "Where is that policeman that was sitting here yesterday?"
It never ceases to amaze me...people's lack of planning, lack of following basic rules of the road, and use of selfish, lazy ways...regularly putting others in harm's way. 
GET UP EARLIER!  AND BE NICE...and quit jeopardizing the safety of my family.  We, adults, have been up since 6am or before, and the kiddos 6:15 or 6:30am...showered and dressed, time to drink coffee, readied for the day, ate breakfast, let our car warm up, and are not snarky at each other.  There is no reason you can't do that either!
So...Mom and Dad...what are you teaching your children these days about time management?  To rush about and fight with one another all morning long?  There is not an "On Time Fairy" that will all of a sudden appear and sprinkle his magic dust over your soon to be adults!  We are training the next generation...and so far...we have trained them to be...
1.oblivious to responsibility of being on time...not to mention chores
2. to arrive a wrinkled, rumpled mess
3. to be rude and obnoxious on the roads
4. to overlook personal hygiene
5. crabby and nasty with words...or grunts
6. to provide lame excuses
7. to not plan ahead the night before
8. to not plan time to spend with the Lord before facing the day
9. to forget needed items
10.  to never allow time for unplanned emergencies or changes
I can say these things out loud now...I have lived them.  I have had and continue to have my  moments of selfishness and have had to adjust my thinking...and activities to be a better example to our children.  We still have our days of grumpiness and fiddling, but there is active training going on!  We all have a choice to make...and sometimes we don't make good ones...even though we know better!  It is part of growing up, maturing, and showing respect for other people.
My parents taught me by example.  We need to teach our children...by a good example too.  I had people I was accountable to.  Our children need to be held accountable too...some day they will have bosses...and a family.  I am married to a morning person who has shown me a better way.  I am a mother to three children...very close in age...that did not allow me the privilege of willy-nilly throwing things together...IT NEVER WORKED!  I have to have a plan and get it together.  I have a mother-in-law who used her notebook to plan and plan ahead.  I borrowed her idea...it helps.  We want to give our children the tools they need for life!  Life is hard when you are not prepared.  God's Word tells us to do all things decently and in order, I Corinthians 14:40.  God also tells us to be kind to one another, Ephesians 4:32.  Pretty simple.  Pretty easy. 
If the grown-ups in your house don't get it together...don't count on an "On Time Fairy" to show up and zap your kiddos at the magic age!  It's our job, Mom and Dad...whether you like it or not.  
Do us all a favor...get up earlier!

No comments: