Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Not what we expected!

 Sunday night...the ferocious winds moved into Michigan!  The kiddos were moving to their rooms to get ready for showers and the livingroom window exploded!  Our hearts skipped a beat and we peeked around the corner to see the curtain billowing and the light crashing to the floor.  At first...we weren't sure what was happening!  I wondered which windows were next!  We feel like we live in a tin can and during storms you think about the vulnerability of mobile homes...double-wide is not even comforting!
 One of our neighbors roofs was in bad repair...and the shingles were flying through the air!  One found its mark on our livingroom window.  Actually, there are shingle (tar) marks on both windows and the screen door window!  God was good and only one shattered.  We fought with the wind to cover it up using some green insulation board, Gorilla glue duct tape, and screws.  We left the mess till morning light and basically didn't sleep a wink!  The wind died down a little but still gusted!
 Both Ted and I took off work to clean up the mess and fix the window.  I hate broken glass...it scares me!  But with less wind, it was safer to work in front of the window!  Ted cleaned up the majority while I took the kiddos to school.
 Here is our commercial for Gorilla glue duct tape!  It held!!!  Yet...came off when we needed it to and didn't break the other window!
 Ted measured and remeasured and went to buy the glass.  After the second trip...because the glass cutter didn't measure twice!! He was off 1/16 of a inch...which was very frustrating holding the glass as the winds continued to gust...and then have to wrap it up and drive back to Mr. Grumpy Glass Man.
 The window is in.  We finally warmed up.  No more flying shingles...yet...we winced at every noise yesterday!
Today...men are fixing their roof!  I hope it isn't just a fix...they needed a whole new roof!!!  With rain and snow coming this week, I'm relieved they got someone to come today!  One family's poor choice of not fixing their trouble spots cost us one window, a couple moments of heart damage, loss of sleep, a day off work times two, duct tape, some caulk, and a little blood...Ted cut himself.  Really...just a little blip on the frustration screen when we compare it to what families lost in central Illinois and other towns!  It was a good lesson to our children...and a great reminder to us...God is still good!  He is God of the good times, the bad times, and every time in between!

1 comment:

Connie Carlson said...

As I was catching up on your newsy posts, I came to this one. I didn't know you were impacted; so thankful you didn't have more damage. Love you!