we are going through some growing pains. I saw this posted the other day and thought, "Ouch! Yikes...what did I say today?!" As a teacher, I use Sharpie markers all the time...and often have marks on my hands...quite noticeable and takes awhile to disappear. I carry the object lesson around in my bag every day!
Sometimes those times of correction and instruction can get a little heated and tense...I don't want my words to be ugly. I don't want my words to mark the hearts of our children...bruising and slashing.
At the same time, children must be reproved and rebuked and exhorted. Teenagers don't know it all. They don't think right...about many things. They are still figuring out...a lot. They make big mistakes and little ones that become big! James 1 is a great chapter for teenagers and parents!
I think one of the hardest things to do is watch your children suffer the consequences of their choices. I will not be their friend. I will tell them when they are wrong. I can't protect them. I won't run interference for them...even though my mother's heart wants to help them not suffer. This week...twice...I have had to stand back and "let the chips fall where they may"...and I battled the desire to prevent the falls. On the other hand, we have reproved, rebuked, and exhorted...and it is like they are not listening...so you get what you get!
Our children have been taught right from wrong since they were little bitties. They have a Dad that challenges them with Bible truth and real life examples. They have a Mom who reminds them of the truth that Dad has put before us. But truth is, we all still fall short.
Our desire is for our children to learn from their mistakes...and for Dad and Mom to use gracious words that encourage them as they grow...so that they may be mature, stable, strengthened, and settled human beings (I Peter 5:10)...who made it through the teenage years with cheerful endurance!
No comments:
Post a Comment