Thursday, July 23, 2026

Doing things a little differently

With a new baby, we decided to do some things differently this time.  We are using real food to feed the dogs.  We started doing more with Velle and Chica off and on.  When we look at the ingredients for dog food, there is alot of filler in it.  So I have done some reading and questioning.  
Every week, I am making some sort of meat with some rice and portioning it out.  They LOVE it!  Oakley is funny...she picks out the meat (chicken and lamb) first and leaves the veggies (green beans and peas) for last.  For breakfast, they get an egg.  I am adding different things here and there to see if they like it.  We will use up the kibble that I bought but drizzled with homemade bone broth...that is out for just in case they need a snack.  They like carrots, sweet potato, cucumbers, watermelon, Greek yogurt, cheese, and apples.
Our messy eater gives it four paws up!  She barks and runs in circles waiting for her bowl...then goes to Velle's bowl to see if it is the same and then I re-direct her back to her bowl.  The issue now...patrolling Velle who goes to Oakley's bowl to eat hers too!  Oakley is a distracted eater and sometimes walks away and then comes back.  If I am not right there to supervise, there is nothing to come back to!  I am curious to try squash on them...we have an over abundance of that from the garden right now.
She is happy and her tummy is full!  At her last vet visit on July 15, she weighed 3.6 pounds.  

 

No comments: