
Since the beginning of our relationship, Ted has accused me of making up words. I have not! I have been taught well! My dad has always used interesting words when preaching and teaching. People who read alot tend to enjoy the use of words and such. Dad also taught me important phrases like thing-a-ma-jig and do-hickey to use if you are at a loss for the right word. I have picked up on words and their meanings and enjoy using new finds. Yes, I am one that likes the Word Power article in Reader's Digest. I can take a word apart using the things I learned in highschool English (Mrs. E would be proud!) and figure out (or get close to) a word.
Another phrase I heard periodically, while growing up (granted not when we were preschool age), when we weren't moving quickly..."stop fiddle-farting around". When you look both parts of the word up, both have definitions that together make a good word of what is actually happening! Fiddle-of nonsensical trifling matters or occupying oneself in an aimless or desultory way. Farting- to fool around; waste time (truly that is one use). I am not advocating the use of said phrase, but I have used it in my frustration, much to my husband's chagrin (he thinks he will be blamed for such language!) Well, our second daughter is known to speak her mind and often uses words and phrases she hears. The other day she was asked where her sister was and she responded that she "was still farting around" (meaning she had not gotten dried off and dressed after her shower). Alisa was dried, dressed, and ready to go. Much to my chagrin, I had to endure the scolding from my beloved. I tried to defend myself, but I had to agree, we don't want our children saying such things to their teachers, grandparents, and babysitters. So I will now use the word dawdle...and I am afraid, with the girls, it will be used alot!
1 comment:
Okay then you can't yell at me for teaching your kids the word snot bucket, because when used in context (gross, nasty, green, goopey, runny nose) it is not bad!! :) 'Member when we had that little incident when Ash called Alisa that when we were over and said that Bryn says it. The word thing is a family inherited trait just so everyone knows!! Love to you. Marit
Post a Comment