"Love seems the swiftest, but it is the slowest of all growths. No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century." M Twain
Ted and I read through I Corinthians 13 a few days ago during one of our "evening chats" at the supper table. We both have been made aware of how selfish our love can be in our daily life. Ted had been thinking through a certain situation and shared with me "I can do this or that...but if it is not done with love...it is nothing." Once again I was reminded that God is love and I am to apply God's Word-His Love Letter to all areas of my life...every day...all the time...in every way! So often...I don't even stop to consider how I should think, act, speak, etc. in the midst of every day occurences...and was it done in a loving way!? Did I please God by how I handled that? One step farther...do I even care? And does it matter? When I really look at the faces of those I am dealing with...I know in a heartbeat! It does matter! And it matters to God!
I am starting to learn that God has given me a wonderful gift...my husband! I thought I loved him when we got married. But as we sit and talk each day, I am learning that I loved him with a selfish love...how he made me feel, what he did for me, what we would get to do, etc. As I re-read I Corinthians 13, it makes sense why people told us "you don't know what love is yet!" We are finally learning...after ten, going on eleven years...and are beginning to understand "true love"!
I Corinthians 13 Paraphrased
Love is very patient and kind, never jealous or envious, never boastful or proud, never haughty or selfish or rude. Love does not demand its own way. It is not irritable or touchy. It does not hold grudges and will hardly even notice when others do it wrong. It is never glad about injustice, but rejoices whenever truth wins out. If you love someone you will be loyal to him no matter what the cost. You will always believe in him, always expect the best of him, and always stand your ground in defending him.
No comments:
Post a Comment