I cherish all the conversations we had as I worked with her or watched her just do. Mom did not complain. When things got hard, she asked for a helping hand. In doing that, I learned to do so many things. It was a joy to be helpful because that is what she demonstrated at home, church, and work with Dad and others. It didn't matter if it was cooking and cleaning for company, playing for special music, helping to butcher rabbits, or painting the church basement. I heard her speak kindly and laugh through the tasks. I am sure there were times she was tired and grumpy and did not want to participate, but I did not see or hear that. There were moments that we were not privy to as children, as it should be! Mom always expressed her genuine gratefulness and love.
As life continues without her here on earth, I am impressed with the fact that I was given a wonderful gift in the way my Momma mothered us...as children and as grown-ups. She could do that well because she and Dad were a team and on the same page. They worked at life together. Mom did her role well. I know I did not see things to the extent I do now. We were shielded from many of the difficult times that I understand were surely there. But God was merciful toward our family as Dad and Mom followed His ways.
I understand now that not everyone was given these blessings from their Mother and Father. I have the opportunity to share a compassionate care and love with others because my sweet Mother poured into me for 55 years. To keep the knowledge, kindness, understanding, and love all to myself is selfish and wasteful of her sweet example. "To whom much is given, much is required." Luke 12:48
I want to be a good steward of what my Mother taught me with her life and with her tongue.
Share life with others...no matter how hard or messy life gets. Mom did that through her ups and downs of her whole cancer treatment.
It is a way to show my gratefulness to God for the gift of my Mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment